Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Skunky Weekend

Our weekend started off with a de-skunkification of our home and our dog Duke.  Though the house smells a lot better, there is still a hint of stench in the air, especially in our bedroom, where our little friend hid under the bed.
It started Friday morning when Brian took the dogs out, as usual, but Duke went around the side of the house and disappeared.  He came sprinting towards our pond a few minutes later, dunking his head and scratching at it with his front paws.  Brian wasn't sure what was wrong and thought he might be having an allergic reaction.  When he opened the door to the house, Duke ran in, ran upstairs, ran around, ran back downstairs, and under our bed.  I was in the bathroom putting on my make-up when Brian asked me to look at Duke's eyes. He got him to come out from under the bed and it took me about half a second to realize he'd been sprayed by a skunk.  He smelled terrible!
Brian tried the old tomato trick but that did nothing.  He scrubbed him several times.  No good. His eyes looked much better though and he had calmed down. We finally had to go to work so we put him in the half bathroom so he couldn't spread the smell anywhere else.  By now, it was burning our eyes and we could hardly breath in our own house.
When I got home from work, I opened all of the windows, despite the fact that it was pretty cold outside.  I put Duke outside, on a tie-out, and waited for Brian to come home from work.  He had stopped and bought some remedies at PetSmart and I was really hoping they would work.
After several treatments for Duke with the chemicals, several wet-vacs and treatments to the carpet, and washing anything fabric he had come in contact with, we finally got rid of the smell. Mostly.  I can still smell it in our bedroom a little bit, which is gross but it's not nearly as bad as it was.
As for Duke, he smells a lot better, too, but he ran off on me this afternoon after a bird and I was really afraid he was going to get himself into trouble again. We may have to stick to letting him out only in the fenced in backyard from now on.  As my grandma would say, he's a Skunkeater!
Imma and Duke Friday afternoon.  Guess he smelled okay for her!  Pardon her mess behind her--she likes to get out a lot of toys!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry! I know the skunk smell very well thanks to our dog.

    ReplyDelete