Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Daytona 500 (with unlimited two year old interruptions)

Brian got me started watching Nascar when we first started dating about eleven years ago. At first, like many people, I said it wasn't a sport and it was just a bunch of rednecks driving in circles. But the more I watched it, the more I saw how much strategy was involved. When to pit, when to stay out, two tires or four, who to work with to get to the front, when to go, etc. Eventually, I ended up watching it even more than he did and now it is very hard for me to miss a race. From the end of November until Daytona in February, I ask Brian about three hundred times each week, "Where's the race at this weekend?" only to be told there isn't one. Sigh. But this was Daytona weekend and there definitely was a race. Despite the fact that there were over two hours of red flag delays because the track was coming apart, it was an exciting race. I was pretty bummed when Jeff Gordon made an idiotic move and knocked Kasey Kahne (my favorite driver) out of the race with less than two laps to go. But Jamie McMurray, who is from Joplin, Missouri, near where I grew up, one the race so I was happy with the ending. Brian really likes Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and he came in second. At the end, Imma and I were cheering, "Go Jamie!" and Brian was yelling, "Go Jr.!" Imma and I must have yelled loudest.
I think that last lap was about all Imma watched. The rest of the time she was running around like a crazed monkey, getting in to all sorts of things. During one of the longer breaks we watched a Baby Einsteins video together. She may seem too old for it but I like to watch them with her because it helps her vocabulary-or at least her word usage. I name whatever is on the screen and she actually repeats it. This is rare for Imma. She usually does not repeat but if she is really interested in what she is watching, she isn't paying attention to the fact that she is saying what someone wants her to say. She said all kinds of things, including "no touch!" though she apparently has no idea what this phrase means.
We are going to celebrate Valentine's Day tomorrow. That is the day we could get a sitter. Today, Brian did give me a box of reese's and a card. And I gave him a card and Imma a card and some stickers. She ate about 10 reese's minis today and enjoyed sticking and resticking her stickers until they are no longer sticky.
I am also enjoying the Winter Olympics!
Only 9 more days until we find out what we are having! I don't know whether or not I will post that information right off. I am struggling with whether or not we should let everyone know. . . . We'll see! Hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

  1. i hope since i am your sister, you will let me know. =)

    now that you've come out of the closet as a nascar fan, do you think people will look at you differently? i sure do. i never liked nascar. it was lame. i only watched it because..........um......

    ....

    ReplyDelete