Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

T-Ball or Bust!

Imma had her first t-ball/softball practice yesterday and it went about as well as I had expected--which wasn't very well at all--but then, we did it and survived and now we can look forward to doing it again on Saturday.
For one thing, it was pretty cold and windy outside.  Practice was at 6:00PM and even though it was 85 degrees outside the day before, it was 50 degrees at practice. Lucy was very, very upset because she wanted to play ball, too, but she couldn't go out on the field.  Imma was very excited at first and wanted to play catch with her friends. The other girls were very kind to her and helping her and it was just great! Then, a little structured was introduced and it went downhill.
Imma at first base with one of her incredibly patient coaches.

At the beginning practice when she was having fun playing catch with the other girls.

As the sun went down, it got even colder.
Imma was paired with a super sweet little girl I know from our school and they were supposed to roll grounders to each other. Imma didn't understand and wanted to kick the dirt instead. The other little girl was trying so hard to be patient but she was frustrated by the end, and deservedly so. The coaches kept going over and trying to get Imma to do what she was supposed to, but she was not able to understand and ran off the field two or three times. Eventually, they switched to fielding the ball while the head coach batted and again, Imma was spinning, kicking the dirt, running away. Coaches came after her and the other girls would yell at her what to do, but Imma didn't get it. She was not happy, she wanted to go home and she had no idea how long she was going to be there or what, "We're almost done," really meant. She just kept yelling, "I want eggs!"  which I'm sure everyone thought was strange--why would a five year old want eggs so badly?--but she actually meant chocolate Easter eggs, which I had promised her if she would stay on the field.  That's really all I wanted from her was for her to stay on the field, and though I had to take her back twice, eventually, she did stay.
I did not tell any of the coaches about Imma's disability.  In a way, that may seem unfair to them but I am more concerned with her and how she may have been perceived.  I did not want anyone to have preconceived notions of what she can and cannot do.  There were a few times last night when I stopped myself from saying, "She has a language processing disorder," or even, "She has suspected autism," but I didn't say it. I think it would be a good idea to tell the coaches to use shorter phrases with her. Instead of, "Imma, come here. Look at the ball."  It needs to be, "Imma--here.  Look, ball!" Otherwise, she's not gonna get it.  Even then, she doesn't always get it but it is usually better.  If they ask me, I will be more than happy to tell them what her differences are but, generally speaking, when I tell people from the beginning that she is different, they don't give her the opportunity to try and see what she can do.
My goal for her is not to turn her into an All-Star softball player.  I want her to have fun, to get to know the other girls, to be "normal" and do what "normal" girls do.  When I was driving her to practice yesterday, I thought about all of the times we were going to therapy and I was wishing we were going to a team sport practice instead.  We finally were. No, it wasn't perfect--I didn't expect it to be and I'd be willing to bet it never will be.  But she did what I asked her to do. That's all that matters.
Her next practice is Saturday and I think Daddy is going to go with her and actually stay on the field with her. Lucy and I will go and cheer her on.  (Yes, I'm that loud mommy cheering for everyone.) Please pray that she understands more each time she goes, pray for patience for her coaches and teammates, and pray that she enjoys spending time with the other girls. We appreciate your prayers, well-wishes, support, and continued travel with us on this journey.  We can check off another box on our list of "normal things kids do!"

2 comments:

  1. can't wait until my son is old enough for t-ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, can I relate to this scenario. I hope your little girl loves playing and has fun, even if she does her own thing while she's out there.
    I'm the loud cheering mom who's kid strikes out every time and is the one in the outfield spinning around or digging up the base.
    We've been at it for years. Each year I give the boys a choice, they can play or they can chose another activity. I am actually surprised that they keep going back. Every year, as a mom, I watch the season play out filled with anxiety for them and hope that they play better, and prayers that the other kids are kind and can ignore the obvious differences or at least leave them alone. Watching them with the other kids, there are moments when my heart has broken but there have been more times when I am filled with pride. Celebrating their tiny victories is worth all of the stress. As they got older, I have had to tell the coach about my guys. It became necessary as the coaches got tougher and the kids more competitive.
    Just this week, the boys asked about sign ups. I was surprised since last season was particularly tough. As long as they want to do it we'll let them. I guess we're in for lots of Saturdays at the ball field. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete