Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Monday, March 25, 2013

Let Each Birthday Count

Today is my birthday.  I would like to say that I don't feel any older, but I think, perhaps, I do.  A little.  But my children keep me young.  They were so excited. We celebrated yesterday because it was just more convenient--which isn't to say that my husband should expect me to do ANY work this evening, 'cause I'm not gonna, but we had the cake, dinner, and presents yesterday.  I got a beautiful handmade necklace from an Etsy shop. It's Annabel Lee themed and I love it. I also got a beautiful Alice in Wonderland bracelet, also from an Etsy shop.  My husband did well.  He let me sleep in, we had red velvet cake, my favorite, and pizza, also my favorite. The girls sang "Happy Birthday" and helped me blow out the candles.  Lucy kept saying, "Happy Birthday, Monnie!" which was also very cute. Overall, it was a good day. Today, I've had lots and lots of facebook messages from dear friends and it's always nice to be thought of and remembered, which I also appreciate.
My cake looked something like this. Now, it is almost gone! Photo from berries dot com

But, of course, something is missing.  This is my first birthday without my dad and it hasn't been easy.  Every year on my birthday, my dad would call and sing Happy Birthday to me in an extremely unique way.  I don't even think I can describe it.  Basically, he would sing it like he was an old, out of tune banjo--without any words.  So, it was something like, "Bear-na-near-near, near near.  Bear-na-near-near, near near. Bear-na-near-near, bear-na-near-near.  Bear-na-near-near, near near."  Can you sort of hear that? I don't think he did this for anyone else in our family, maybe he did, but I know it started with me.  And I missed it. My sister was kind enough to text it to me, Brian has sang it to me, I'm sure other people have thought of it today, too, but it just wasn't the same.  Maybe next year, it will be easier.  I hope so, any way.
It just serves as a reminder--we can all complain about getting older, not looking the same, not feeling the same.  Getting tired easier, more creaks and cracks when we walk, etc.  But a birthday is something to be cherished, something to be thankful for.  And you never know when you are celebrating your last one.  When my dad turned my age, he only had 19 birthdays left. If he had known that, he might have done some things differently.  If I only have 19 birthdays left, or maybe this is my last one, I want to make sure there is nothing I didnt' take the time to do now while I have the chance. I want to hug my girls a little more, spend more time with my friends, kiss my husband more often, enjoy the sunset and be more thankful each morning that I was allowed another opportunity to make a difference.  There are no guarantees in life and so I shouldn't just assume that I will get the opportunity to celebrate my birthday next year.  So, this one has to count.
Thanks to all of you who have sent me birthday wishes. Here's to lots and lots more birthdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment