Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Zombie Knee

I went back to see my original ortho today to go over the results of my second MRI. If you missed the drama of that rant, you can find my post here. I was definitely going to get a second opinion and even had an appointment scheduled for next Wednesday. It is no longer necessary--because I'm getting a Zombie knee.
The doctor looked at my new MRI and realized that when I re-injured myself my meniscus folded up and is now stuck inside of my knee, preventing the joint from functioning. Suspicion of this is what caused him to order the second MRI in the first place, so I'm glad he did, even though it wasn't a lot of fun. He said this is why I can't bear weight and why I can't straighten my leg. Of course, I suspected this all along. (I have done my research.) So I wasn't really surprised. He said the only thing we can do is go in and take it out.  He's basically just going to cut off the inside front half of my meniscus.
And if you cut off a meniscus, you may as well replace an ACL (I'm a kindergarten teacher at heart, remember? If you give a mouse a cookie....)
So he is going to go ahead and replace my ACL with a new one. Okay, not a new one, and old one. One from someone else who isn't using it anymore.
A cadaver.
I am an organ donor, and I think it's a great thing to donate your body to science. Somewhere, there is an ACL in safe keeping with my name on it that someone so graciously donated once they passed on. The thought is a little creepy, but their sacrifice is greatly appreciated. Still, I can't help but think of it as a Zombie body part. Back from the dead. (Since I am also an organ donor. I wonder if a third person will get to use this tendon....)
What's in your knee? In your knee? Zombie. Zombie. Zombie--ee-ee-ee!

The reason the surgeon can't take my own hamstring or some other tendon as is often done in these sorts of operations is because my tendons and ligaments are too stretchy. He was shocked that my left knee automatically hyper-extends whenever I straighten it.  So using my own tendon or ligament wouldn't be the best idea.
I will be scheduling my surgery tomorrow. He said it would be next week at the earliest. He is calling in his partner for this one; apparently, he thinks my knee may be as cantankerous as I am. He said it will probably take two hours. I should be walking within three weeks of the surgery though. That's the part I am the most excited about--I don't care about the pain and the discomfort--I want to walk again.
It will probably take a good 3-4 months before I feel normal and a year before he will completely release me. I will still have to do physical therapy, as well, but not until after the surgery.
I'm really excited to get on with this and get it over with. I know it's going to be a lot of pain, but if that's what it takes so I can function again, I'm all for it.
This has been the craziest year ever. From the tornado in December, to having Duke's face bashed in by a horse, to losing Barkley, and then this ridiculousness with my knee, I'm leery of asking what could possibly happen next. Hopefully, it is only good news from now on!
Thanks to everyone who is keeping us in your prayers! We need it. We have two and a half weeks of school left. I'm not sure if I'll be there for all of it, but my girls likely will be, which means Brian's crazy schedule will continue. It's hard having to do everything that you always do and everything your spouse usually does.  He's done an amazing job of taking care of us, and I'm very lucky that he puts up with me. Something tells me the worst part is probably yet to come....
(PS Since everyone seems to be offended by everything these days, please understand that I know that the tendon will not actually be from a zombie, make me a zombie, or that I am insinuating that the person who donated it is now a zombie. It's a "laugh so you don't cry" situation. I applaud organ donors everywhere and their loved ones who support their decisions to donate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment