Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Five New Ways I'm Like My Grandma

My Grandma, Imogene Morrow, was an amazing person. Growing up, she was always one of my favorite people, and as a teenager, she was my best friend.  My grandma faced a lot of challenges in her life, probably the most significant being that she was born with two club feet. Throughout her entire life, walking was a struggle for her.  Now that I have spent the last few weeks in a wheelchair, I have a new found appreciation for her struggle.  I can't say how many times a day I realize I am now even more like here than I was before. Here are five specific times when I realize, "Wow! I've turned into my grandma!"
1) If I don't have to get up, I'd rather not.
My grandma avoided moving from one location to another as much as possible, not because she was lazy but because the sheer act of standing was painful--and scary. Now that I can't walk and have to use a wheelchair, walker, crutches, or hopping, I totally understand this even more than I did before.  It isn't that standing up necessarily hurts for me--most of the time it doesn't unless I  put weight on my bad knee--but the more upright I am, the better are my chances of reinjuring myself or falling. So, yes, sitting is good!
2) I've got stuff on me.
I bet you never thought about this before, but when you stand up any dust, debris, or other various pieces of whatever you've been doing fall to the ground. When you sit basically all day long, you tend to collect this stuff. I used to think it was odd that my grandma had little bits of thread and fabric all over her. Now I get it! I have pieces of paper and other school related items on me most of the time now because I don't stand up to give it a chance to fall off.
3) I've got stuff all around me.
My grandma used to surround herself with all of the stuff she might need during the day.  We used to tease her about it. But now, I get it! If there's not someone around to get me something that I need, that's a problem. It's better to just have all of the stuff that I need around me at all times within my reach. I may look a little bit like a pack-rat or a horder, but at this point, I really don't care.
4) Shoes and socks are not my friend.
Putting my shoes and socks on is almost impossible without help. I can't bend my right knee to put that shoe and sock on, I can't rest my left leg on my right knee to put that one on.  Some of my shoes I can get on with a lot of stretching and feet wiggling, but usually I need someone else to do it. My grandma struggled with this as well.
5) I am more appreciative of others.
My grandma was the kindest, most loving person I have ever met. Now that I have such a huge limitation on my own health and mobility, I think I appreciate people even more than I did before. Sure, I'm also a little jealous of all the bending, stretching, walking, running, skipping, hopping, and driving they can do. But I also really notice when someone goes out of their way to do something thoughtful, like hold a door for me or pick something up that I've dropped.
This has probably been the most challenging event in my life so far, but I've also learned a lot! And I am very thankful that, God willing, this is just a temporary inconvenience. Unlike so many others who find themselves unable to walk, I should be able to make a full recovery. Thank you for your continued prayers for my family and myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment