Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Saturday, May 28, 2016

ACL Post-Op Day 3

I wanted to update this quickly without writing too much. I'm on some pretty strong pain medication (hydrocodone, which is strong for me) so you just never know what I might be inclined to write.  But I think it's important not only to update my family and friends but to also leave more information for those to come....
Yesterday was really rough. I went to the doctor to have my bandages removed and just getting in and out of the car, etc. was exhausting. The wound looks fine, and it's nice not having all that bulkiness wrapped around my leg. But the nurse who took the bandages off was a little rough, and if my leg wasn't straight when I went in, well, it is now, for the first time in about two months.
Here it is in all of its glory! Just a tad swollen....

I came home and went back to bed. I think the best advice I've gotten so far is to stay ahead of the pain, so that's what I've been trying to do. I have pillows behind my back and shoulders, and my leg is propped up so that it's above my heart when I'm laying down, which is most of the time. I have the ice machine on it at all times. The doctor said I could take the immobilizer off as long as I'm not up, so it's off almost all of the time. I have read a lot of other posts where people say they are supposed to leave their immobilizers on basically all of the time, so I clarified this point a few times with my doctor. It is a lot more comfortable to have it off, and sense the doctor said I could take it off unless I'm on the crutches, it's off. I have an ace bandage wrapped around it, as well as the "dust covers" he put on the wounds, a towel, the ice machine pad, and a blanket.
Last night, I was able to sleep a little bit more, but only because I took my medicine exactly as prescribed. I didn't wait for it to start hurting. I am taking the hydrocodone six hours apart. He also said I could take the Tramadol two hours after I take the hydrocodone.  I've read that Tramadol can be pretty addictive, so I'm not taking it every two hours, but I am taking it every four if I feel like the hydrocodone isn't as effective as it could be.  I am also still on antibiotics. My mental state is pretty fuzzy most of the time. I think this is more due to the exhaustion than the medicine, though the medicine makes me sleepy. I haven't gotten more than a couple of hours of sleep in a row since Monday, and it's Saturday now. I am even having a hard time writing this because it keeps getting blurry.
I only get up to go to the bathroom. I have rails installed on the toilet still from when I originally injured myself, so that helps, but I still require supervision. My husband always gets the fun jobs! Just getting up out of bed is hard.  I can't really lift my leg yet, so he has to help me get it off of the pillows and then slide it out of bed. Then I have to transfer to the wheelchair, to the toilet, and then reverse. By the time that's all done, I am very lightheaded and exhausted.  It's very painful. It hurts on the inside of my leg especially, shooting down from my knee through my shin. So I wait until the very last minute to go to the bathroom--and I'm really hoping I don't end up with a UTI because of it. It's just that painful. Hopefully, in a day or two, when my leg is stronger, getting out of bed won't hurt so much.
I am doing ankle pumps and quad tightening exercises designed to strengthen my leg muscles.  I think this is helping with regaining the strength in my leg.
My leg is still pointed out a bit. The doctor said this is due to swelling and not to worry about it.  I'm having a hard time keeping it from laying down on it's side on top of the pillows, so it's rotated out, and I'm hoping this is okay.  The doctor said it was fine yesterday....
I go to physical therapy next Friday. Hope to have a better timeline for recovery then. I also go back to the doctor next Friday.
That's all for now.... Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any insight. Your prayers and well-wishes are always appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing pretty good, like I said the other day take that hydrocodones at 5 1/2 hrs. What strength pill is it. Also as long as you don't abuse meds don't worry about the tramadal

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Hydrocodone/acetaminophine 10-325. Thanks! I'm feeling better today. Hopefully, this will keep getting easier each day!

    ReplyDelete