Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Sunday, May 29, 2016

ACL Post Op Day 4

Just a brief update on day four after my ACL reconstruction/meniscus removal surgery.  I have read in a few places that day four has been like a brick wall, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I haven't been in too much pain today, and I have a lot more strength in my leg. I can get up and down off of the bed now with very limited help, and sometimes I can do it myself. Before, I was using my hands to lift my leg, and my husband often had to help me lift my heel onto the bed.
I have been exhausted today, however. I think it's that lack of sleep catching up with me. Last night, I think I slept about two hours in a row a couple of times, which is better than the ten or so minutes I had been sleeping in a row the nights/days before.  Today, I have fallen asleep dozens of times but haven't slept too long any one time except for a two hour nap. I am still jerking around quite a bit, and I've read that might be due to the opioids. So, I'll fall asleep and then have a muscle spasm or some sort of a full-body hiccup type of reaction and wake myself up. Sometimes it's my hurt knee, but lots of times, it's another part of my body.  It's not any fun at all, and it will be interesting to see if it tapers off as I stop using the hydrocodone.
I've stayed ahead of my medicine all day today, and I've used my ice machine all day.  My pain hasn't really gotten above a four or five, and that's just been when I've returned from an activity, like getting back into bed after using the restroom. That's basically been the extent of my activities again today. I know some people are allowed to walk around, etc., by now. But I'm not. My doctor made it pretty clear he didn't want me putting any weight on my operative leg at all and he mostly wants me resting and elevating with ice. I also am supposed to do ankle pumps and quad exercises, which I am doing.
So, that's been day 4.  The swelling seems to have gone down quite a bit. I am having some itching around the bandage site. Tomorrow, I am allowed to take a shower so long as I keep the incisions covered, so we'll see how that goes.
Questions? Comments? Concerns??

1 comment:

  1. Just tape a garbage bag around your leg. Piece of cake. Also when you start therapy you might want to take a pain pill.

    ReplyDelete