Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Tummy Troubles and the "Yucky!"

The only way I can really know what happens with Imma at school is to be there, which, luckily for me, I usually am. However, the last two days I have been home sick. So, wen I picked her up today and she was wearing a too-small-shirt in a color I did not recognize I knew one of two things had happened: A) Daddy had made a very poor fashion choice or B) something terrible had happened at school. Normally I send a change of clothes with her in her backpack but I took them out when we went to Disney World last month and I have not replaced them yet. So, if something happened to her shirt, she would most likely have had to get a new one from the nurse. I always ask Imma questions as if she is fully capable of answering them, even though she usually isn't. So I asked her, "Why are you wearing a different shirt?" expecting silence or something that had nothing to do with the question. Instead she said, "Oh, ya, different shirt." This was progress! So I asked another question. "Did something happen to your shirt today at school?" "Oh, ya, at school. Yucky. Got a new one." I was pretty impressed so I asked another question. "Did something yucky happen to your shirt today?" "Yes, his tummy was ouchy and his tummy hurt. Then the yucky." I thought at this point I probably knew everything I needed to know but I asked her another question just to see if she would keep answering. "Did someone throw up on you?" "Oh, ya, and the yucky. Tummy hurt." Just for clarification, I asked, "You didn't throw up did you?" And back to silence. "Imma, did you throw up or a friend?" Nothing. "Immma, which one of your friends threw up?" Again, nothing. So I tried another approach. "Who gave you your shirt?" No answer. "Was it your teacher? Was it the nurse?" "Nurse one!" We have a winner! I posted this conversation for a few reasons. First of all, 6 months from now, I'd like to be able to look back at this and be amazed at how much progress she has made. I know that even a couple of months ago, she wouldn't have been able to tell me all of this. We couldn't even get her to tell us if she had played outside at recess. Now, she is basically able to tell me what happened, at least in a way that I can understand and ask some questions of my colleagues at work tomorrow to see if she was accurate. The other reason is because I know a lot of parents of special needs children who are just beginning and they think their child is never going to be able to convey this kind of message to them. I know because I've been there. Imma was almosty 3 before we got very far beyond grunting and pointing. You, too, will be amazed at where you will be 6 months down the road if you just continue to walk. By the way, her shirt was in her backpack in a plastic bag. And it was very yucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment