Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Happy Ninth Birthday, Imma-Jane!

In our lifetimes, we encounter thousands of people. Most of them have little influence on us.  Some leave a bit of an impression. Others help mold and shape us in ways we cannot even express in words. I was thirty years old when I met Imma-Jane. She was a small, wrinkly, red, screaming individual who really, really, really didn't want to leave her previous abode.  I knew from that moment--or possibly eight months before when I found out that she existed--my life would be forever changed.
She got them all with one blow!  Wish come true!!


What I didn't know at that time, holding her in my arms in the hospital, oblivious to the rest of the world, was how profoundly my life would change, the lessons she would teach me, the ways she would force me to grow and evolve and become a better person. I also didn't realize the effect she would have on everyone else she encountered.
We went to Medieval Times to celebrate. She had a lot of fun, despite her silly expression!
If you know Imma, then you know exactly what I'm talking about.  She's introspective. If she says something to you, it's important. She's a rule follower. If she believes something to be unjust, she will let you know. She's calculating; her brain is always thinking about shapes and objects and how they relate together. She's musical.  She can make anything an instrument and hear the beauty in any song. She's silly.  We were once told she'd never be able to understand jokes, but now her humor is often so clever sometimes it takes me a moment to get it. And in the same breath, potty humor is also hilarious.  She's independent.  Now that she is nine, she's pretty sure she's a grown up.  She's mine. She's my girl.  She always will be. And I'm so very lucky that God looked down one day and thought, "Yep, she can do it.  It won't be easy, but this is the one." (I hope and pray each day that I'm not disappointing Him.) I'm sure, however, He had the same conversation with Imma. "It won't be easy, but if anyone can handle having Amy for her mom, it's you."
She got an iPad mini for her birthday! 

With each passing year, Imma becomes more aware of her differences. So do other children. For the most part, we've been very lucky not to have bad experiences.  Most of the time, kids are kind. Teachers and other adults help facilitate that kindness. Now that she is nine, I begin to worry even more. We are approaching middle school, and that's tough for anyone. She will be going back to her old school this year, and I won't be with her. I pray that she is in a classroom with a teacher who will love her as much as her previous teachers have, who will guide her and direct her, while protecting her from the sharp words misunderstandings about autism also lead to, especially among young people who don't quite get it but know something is different. I pray that this year she rekindles the friendships she has had in the past with the sweet children who wrapped her in their arms for the first three years of her educational career. I pray that she is able to keep up with her friends at Merriman Park as well and that fourth grade isn't too difficult since she will be the new girl, sort of.   I pray that her program works for her, that she continues to make progress, and that she is able to find her own voice so that she can show others exactly what she knows and ask for help when needed.
Not exactly a girly cake, but she loves Star Wars!

I pray for more smiles than tears, more hugs than hurts, more love than hate or indifference.
And above all else, I am so very thankful that I am her mother. Happy birthday, Imma-Jane Isabella! May this be the best year yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment