Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

ACL Reconstruction Post-Op Day 7

I slept pretty well last night, once I finally fell asleep. I woke up a few times, but I slept from about 12:00 midnight until 6:00 AM. Then, after my husband and kids left, I fell back to sleep for another four hours.  That's probably the most sleep I've gotten since the surgery and maybe since the accident.
My pain was very manageable this morning. Until about 3:00 this afternoon, I wasn't in much pain at all. I'm not sure what happened at that point, but that was three hours ago, and since then, it's been pretty bad. Maybe a six on a scale of one to ten. That's about the worse it's been in the last three or four days. I took my meds about thirty minutes ago, and that's helping, but I am disappointed that the pain didn't stay mild all day. I had hopes that today would be the day I'd turn a corner and be on the downhill slide.
I'm wondering if the refill on my hydrocodone has anything to do with it. It's the same prescription, according to the bottle, but I got it filled at a different pharmacy. I doubt that is it, but it's the only thing I've done differently. Of course, I realize that pain ebbs and flows, and it could be any number of things that have caused my rough afternoon.
Something else interesting about my refill is that this bottle says to take 1-2 tablets every 6-8 hours whereas my original prescription says 1/2 to 1 pill every 6 hours.  If I had known I could take two pills right after surgery, I definitely would have been doing that. I don't need that now, but I did last week. I have no idea why the directions are different. I'm sticking with the original plan--one pill every six hours with a Tramadol about halfway through if needed. And ice. Ice has been my life saver. When the ice melts in the middle of the night or I run out before my husband gets a chance to fill it, I can definitely tell the difference.
I am worried about straightening my leg. I can't do it, and I am too scared to really work on that right now without specific instructions. I'm afraid they will make me do it on Friday at Physical Therapy and that it will hurt like a son of a biscuit.  I'm also concerned that they might make me straighten it at the doctor that day because the nurse made me do it last week--as in he picked up my leg and straightened it, and even when I told him it was excruciating, he kept it straight anyway so he could put my immobilizer on.
I decided to take my ace bandage off while I'm sitting around this afternoon. I know the doctor said I could take it off last week, but I was a little scared to leave it off, especially with two little girls. But it's off now, and that's a lot more comfortable. I really hate the feeling of having something bunched up behind my knee, so I was constantly straightening it, and it was constantly scrunching up again.
Not planning on using this too much anymore.

Tomorrow should be another non-eventful day of catching up on DVRed shows. I'm sad that I won't be with the girls at school on their last days of kindergarten and third grade. I'm sad that I won't get to tell the student and staff at our school goodbye. I am happy that the girls will be here next week though. I've really been missing them these last few weeks. I am used to spending a lot of time with them, and they've been coming home from school and playing or going upstairs, a place I vaguely remember.... I think we are all ready for summer vacation to officially begin, and I would love to think I might be walking again by the end of the month.
If you are undergoing ACL surgery and you have any questions, please feel free to comment or email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment