Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Thursday, June 13, 2013

To My Precious Daughter On Her Birthday

Dear Imma,
Many years from now, I hope that you can look back upon this post and know just how much you are loved and cherished.  This year has been one of tremendous growth for you.  I can't tell you how extremely proud I am of all you have accomplished. You continue to amaze me each day with your enthusiasm, curiosity, and perseverance. It is impossible for anyone to meet you and not instantly fall in love with your beautiful smile and your loving spirit.
This year, you graduated from kindergarten. You proved you could accomplish anything with your determination and hard work.  You made lots of new friends, started reading, learned that "1 + 1 eagles 2" and you love to write. It warms my heart to see you hug your friends good-bye at the end of the day and I love it when you come in after lunch, throw down your lunch box, hug me and bound back to class.  School was so much more fun knowing you were just down the hallway.  You learned to keep your hands--and your teeth--to yourself and you learned to do uncanny impersonations of many of your teachers.
You have grown leaps and bounds in your ability to communicate.  You have gone from short phrases to complete sentences, asking and answering questions, explaining things, bringing up references from the past, and carrying on conversations. It's hard to remember that just a year ago, you couldn't really answer questions.  Now, you can answer just about anything.  I also love all of the questions you ask in your own special way. If you don't know someone's name you say, "I don't know what nat's (that's) name." Though abstracts are still extremely difficult, you are getting there. I see progress every day and we have gone from wishing you would speak to wondering if you will ever pause to take a breath.
You played softball this spring. Pawpaw would be so proud of you.  You were a part of a team and you worked with the other girls to accomplish a goal.  You are an amazing hitter and got several hits from the pitcher, as well as hitting off of the tee.  You would make funny, "wha, wha, wha" sounds when you missed that cracked everyone up.  Though you had to have a coach's help to run the bases, that's something we will continue to work on, as well as throwing the ball and not clumps of dirt.  To me, playing a sport was the true symbolism of doing something "normal" and you certainly did it this year.  Your coach even said she would be happy to have you on her team again next year and we are looking forward to that.
If I would let you, you would stay in the pool all day.  You love to swim.  This year, you've finally began to understand how to hold your breath, go underwater, and paddle.  Swimming lessons this summer have been extremely successful. I'm so proud of how well you have listened and I'm relieved that you no longer seem to think you can walk on water--although I certainly think you walk on water in many other ways.
You love Alice in Wonderland, Lizard of Oz, Roman (Despicable Me) Cinderella I and II, and The Backyardigans.  You love to read and often have a book in your bag.  You love to color, paint, draw, create.  You hate wearing dresses and shorts and having your hair brushed.  Your best friends are Peyton, Gracie, and Colton.  You love your dog Duke and you wish you had a horse named Peanut. You loved the Dumbo ride at Disney World but not the characters and you would "getta go water owl" every day if Great Wolf Lodge wasn't so expensive.
I love watching you play with your baby sister when you are being kind to each other.  You try to teach her things and she imitates so much of what you do.  She repeats your words and movements because she looks up to you.  I am so looking forward to seeing the two of you grow into lifelong best friends.
There are so many things that I love about you, I couldn't possibly list them all.  I think the one attribute I love the most is that you never complain about your differences. You never even seem to notice that most people don't have to work as hard as you do, everyone else understands, everyone else can say whatever the want. You just keep trying until you convey your point or until you know what to do. Sure, it has to be frustrating and we can see that sometimes but you just keep trying and persevering, no matter how difficult the situation is. That is an amazing quality to have and I hope it is one that I can help cultivate in you so that you can always be successful, no matter what obstacles you come across on your journey.
I have always known that you were an exceptional child, a soul with a purpose.  Sometimes I have questioned my abilities to guide you as a mother but I've never regretted being chosen for this most important of roles.  Each day we grow closer to meeting your potential. I  pray for strength and guidance so that I can help you fulfill all that God has planned for your extraordinary life.
You are a beautiful child, a generous spirit, a loving soul.  I am so  very blessed to be your mother.  May your seventh year be filled with love, laughter, learning, and abundant life.
Love,
Mommy


Imma and two of her best friends at the zoo

Imma changes into her "nother one clothes" the second she walks in the door.

I find lots of self-portraits on my phone.

We had Imma's birthday party in May so that friends from school could make it. It was Alice in Wonderland themed.  Imma loves cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment