Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Play Date Saves the Day!

This morning, Lucy didn't get up until 9:30.  She almost never asks to go out to the pool but this morning she did.  Lots and lots of times.  I kept telling her no though because we had a play date scheduled for 12:00 and we were going to have to leave at 11:30, which means that we had to start getting ready to go somewhere around 10:00.  Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration but considering I looked for Imma's shoes for 20 minutes and still never found them, if we are going to be on time, we have to forgo anything that may take an unpredictable amount of time, like swimming.
So, I ignored the whiny pleas from my little princess and told her no, we are going to Old MacDonald's (Imma speak for McDonald's) about 28 times.  We were sitting on the couch working on abcmouse.com when I heard a strange sound from the backyard. I ran to the window and got there just in time to see our brand new patio table shatter into a million gazillion pieces.  It's a little breezy here today and the umbrella was up, so I'm guessing it caught it just right and slammed it down on the glass.  I had no idea that could happen!  If we had been outside, the girls would have been in the pool right next to the table and I would have been sitting at the table.  Thank God we weren't out there and no one got hurt.
Of course, I'm not particularly happy that the table is destroyed and I'm hoping that the manufacturer or Lowe's or someone will at least replace it.  I know they make those stabilizer pieces for the bottom of the umbrella and we didn't have one on. Apparently, we needed one. I just thought that, if the directions said the  table could hold that size umbrella, it didn't mean with pieces you had to buy separately.  I don't really want another glass table after this but I also don't want to walk away empty handed after we spent so much on this one.  The frame is just fine and I'm thinking about the possibilities of putting a piece of butchers-block or some nice wood in it instead but I have no idea if I could do that or not.  I work with fabric and scissors, not wood and saws.  Anyone have any ideas?
When I went to clean it up, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The glass was almost all on the patio with very little in the grass so I was able to sweep most of it up.  There wan't any in the pool that I could see but I will definitely let Brian check that out before the girls get in it again. Imma stood by the back door the whole time I was working and asked me not to throw away the "ice" and begged to go into the pool, which I couldn't let her do.  At the end of the day, it's probably just a minor inconvenience, but it could have been a lot worse if we would have been outside or if the dogs would have been out there.
The girls did have fun with our friends at McDonald's.  I was so proud of how well Imma played with her friend and how well she was talking.  She explained that we went to the beach and then we had to go to the airport to come home.  She was using his name and played with him in the play area, which is great for her because she has so much trouble remembering everyone's name and usually prefers to play by herself.  Lucy was the only child dressed like a Disney Princess in the play area so it was easy to keep an eye on her. When you're child is dressed like Cinderella, it's pretty hard to lose track of her and you can just ask the other parents, "Does anyone know where Cinderella is?" No descriptions required.
Hopefully, we will get this little patio table thingy squared away and get it replaced before we have anyone over because it would be a lot easier to cook-out with a table in the backyard!
The shattered remains of the patio table
Who would have thought you could fit that whole table into one little trash can?

No comments:

Post a Comment