Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Thursday, August 14, 2014

What I Will Miss About This Summer With My Girls

It's about 4:00 PM right now and I am sitting in my bedroom, the TV on but just for the noise.  I can hear my daughters playing together on the catwalk, their little voices echoing out and filling up the living room.
I'm not sure if it's Littlest Pet Shop, My Little Pony, or Lalaloopsy--maybe all three.  But, they've been playing together with no arguments for about twenty minutes, which is pretty good for them, so I'm sure one of them will be down shortly to tattle. That's okay--that's how we roll.
Nevertheless, one of the things I will miss most about this summer vacation is hearing my children play together. Most of the time I'm in the same room or in and adjoining one.  Always close enough to hear their sweet voices--and to interject whenever someone is "not sharing."
I will also miss the time I get to spend with them, individually and collectively. We have had some really great times this summer, despite Imma's begging for a cat and Lucy's forgetfulness regarding the use of the potty chair. We've done some easy and simple but fun things, like baking cookies and making play-dough. We've had some awesome trips.  We went on a cruise to Mexico. We drove to Branson, Missouri for our annual "sister-cation" and we just got back from Disney World. But, as much fun as our vacations were, what I will miss most is just being at home with them, playing and loving on each other.
That's not to say that we haven't had our share of meltdowns (including Mommy) screaming fits and tantrums.  But this is the first time in the history of my motherhood that I haven't been ready (and I mean READY) to go back to school.  Usually, by mid-July I have had enough of full-time mommyhood.  This year, I could stay at home with them and be perfectly happy.  I think that's because they are getting more independent (although I still am the official snack-opener, shoe-tier, and toy-picker-upper) and they are learning to get along together better as well.  I think we will always battle "that's mine!" with Imma simply because it's so difficult for her to grasp the abstract concept of sharing and caring for others.  But, we are getting better at it.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love my job. I am so looking forward to seeing all of "my" kids (about 800 of them!) again.  I saw two of the students I have worked with in the past at Wal-Mart today and it was so nice to see them.  They've grown about two feet over the summer, I think.  There are a couple of children in particular that I miss like crazy.  I am very hopeful that they return this year.  Sometimes they simply don't come back and you just don't see them ever again and that's difficult.  I'm also excited to see all of my colleagues.  The start of the school year is something magical that you can't truly understand unless you've been a teacher and so I am looking forward to getting back in the swing.
But that doesn't make leaving my own babies any easier.
I will see Imma at school some. I'll be at her campus at least two days a week. But that's not quite the same and I always try not to interrupt, though I have been known to "sneak attack" hug her in the hallway. Most of the time, it's the other kids in her class who break the line and hug me and not my own little chica.
And then there's Lucy.  She is basically my shadow all summer long.  She just came in and curled up beside me with the iPad. She loves her childcare provider like a second mommy and Amy is one of our dearest friends. But the thought of not seeing her for about nine hours a day is something I can't think about right now. I'm so used to being able to hug her or kiss her or tickle her any time I want to. I'm definitely going to be missing her come Monday.
"Say Cheese!" I'm sooo going to miss this little girl!

And that's when I go back--Monday--three days from now. I know I'll be super busy and distracted but I'm still going to miss my girls. I'm going to miss being home or going out when we want to, building our own schedule and routine.  It's definitely not going to be an easy transition this time around.
I have a lot of friends who are teachers who are going through similar emotions right now.  I also have friends who are taking their kids to kindergarten for the first time.  That's also extremely hard when you've been at home with your child for five years and now he or she isn't there any more. And then there are those friends who are taking their children off to college. That's not even on my radar yet but I can't imagine how that must feel.
Tomorrow is our last day together before I go back and I hope to make the best of it.  Lots of memories have been made this summer and we need to add just a few more.  What are you going to miss about your summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment