Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Shopping With Imma--and Earplugs

I know it sounds crazy, especially if you've been reading my blog from the very beginning, but there are times when I really wish Imma would just stop talking!  This after years of praying that she would start talking, doesn't make a lot of sense and probably seems ridiculous but it would only take about five minutes in the grocery store with Imma before you would understand.
With two kids and one cart, I often put Imma in the part of the cart where the groceries go, unless of course we are getting a lot of items. If she is inside, it's usually better, but if she is outside, she literally talks about every single item that she sees.  So, that's hundreds of items.  It goes a little like this:
"Mommy!  Look, it's cereal!  Look, Mommy, it's chocolate cereal. You see that, Mommy?  You see that?  It's chocolate cereal!"
"Yes, honey, I see it."
"It's chocolate cereal, Mommy.  We don't need that, Mommy.  We have that at home. Look, Mommy! It's fruit cereal!  Do you see that, Mommy?  Do you see it? It's cereal with fruit!"
"Yes, baby, I see it."
"We have that at home, Mommy.  We don't need it.  Look, Mommy, it's Poptarts! Do you see that, Mommy?  Do you see that Poptarts? It's red and purple and blue and chocolate.  Do you see that one Poptarts, Mommy?"
"Yes, sweetheart, I see it."
And now, she has a scripted phrase she likes to add in, which she has learned from asking me if we can buy apps for the iPad.  I can't purchase any apps for the iPad because it isn't mine, it's the schools.  I am just borrowing it. When she started asking me to buy apps, I would say things like, "No, honey. We can't buy anything for the iPad.  It's 2.99.  You can't get it if it's not free."  So, she started finding free ones, which I would occasionally add to the iPad for her.  Then I had to start telling her there wasn't enough room for new apps on the iPad.  So, now when we go to the store, people hear things like this:
"Look, Mommy! It's fruit snacks.  It's blue fruit snacks.  Do you see that, Mommy?  It's 2.99.  You can't get it if it's not free.  There' s not enough room for it. Look, Mommy! It's ice cream.  It's 3.99.  You can't get it if it's not free. There's not enough room for it."
I wonder what the other shoppers think about me denying my child any food item that isn't free and why my cupboard is so full that there's not enough room for fruit snacks.
In all seriousness, I am very thankful at all of the progress Imma has made, especially with her speech and her language processing.  Is it exhausting to hear her go on and on? Sure. But it beats the alternative of wondering if she would ever talk, ever understand what we were saying.  I have some friends who have children who are nonverbal so I am extremely grateful for all that Imma can say and do. If the problem that we have now is that we can't get her to be quiet, than I'll take it.  Still, if anyone would like to take her grocery shopping for entertainment purposes, she's quite the conversationalist.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. I tell Chris he can only get free apps, there our a few 99 cent ones I let him have because they are educational. Your girls are so sweet. How about we go shopping together one day, Chris and Imma can keep each other entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a brave soul, Laura! Maybe she would just talk to him and not to us, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete