Lucy Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Imma ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lucy's Dance Recital

I sat in the crowded theater, anxiously awaiting the moment that the curtains would swish back, the music would start, and my beautiful little princess would begin dancing the piece she had been practicing for so long.  Beside me, a squirmy five year old reminded me that she had been sitting a very long time. There was a chill in the air, restless mommy's across the aisles glanced nervously at their watches, wondering how much longer.  And then, at last, the curtains opened to tiny ballerinas sitting nervously on the stage, staring at their dance teacher through the over-whelming glare of oh-so-bright lights. As the song, "April Showers," from Bambi began to play, the familiarity registered on those precious  faces. Some began to sway, others began to cry, one literally tried to crawl off of the stage.  But not my Lucy.  No, despite the anarchy surrounding her, my little ballerina danced.  She danced, and danced, and danced.  One other small tot did her best to stay focused, but she, like the rest became frozen, much like their title character in the proverbial headlights.  Around me, I heard other mothers quietly begging, pleading with their children, "Come on honey, dance! Do it, just dance!"  But their little princesses were too far away to hear and in this case, where there was a will, there was simply no way.  Those little angels were overwhelmed and dancing was the furthest thing from their minds.
Despite the lack of actual dancing in this number, a the end of the recital, these sweet babies were brought back out on stage to do the dance again. Apparently, there was a technical glitch with the lighting and the pre-purchased DVD was going to be extremely disappointing if the girls did not recreate their, uhm, dance.  The second time was perhaps even more devastating than the first. Terrified little girls shrieked, some refused to budge and were scooted into position.  One lone child ran around the back of the stage as if she had just consumed an entire bowl of sugar.  And Lucy?  Well, she danced.  She danced like a pro!  She danced even better than she had the first time! She was amazing! It was as if she were born to dance! I am sure that every mother was extremely proud of her daughter's efforts. There were some amazing pieces, some exquisite costumes, some enchanting numbers. But, at the end of that recital, I guarantee no one's mother was more proud than I was of Lone Lucy's. She was a little star! And while I have also been the proud parent of the shrieking child who refuses to get on stage--and I would have been very proud of Lucy if that is what would have happened this time as well--I must say, it was an amazing feeling to see my child shine up there. We can't wait to get that pre-purchased DVD.
Dancing Lucy! I know lighting is terrible but you can see what my baby is doing--dancing!





(Note to the reader--I am very proud of all of the girls in Lucy's dance troupe!  They all did an outstanding job and I am a firm believer that we should always be proud of our children's efforts, whether they dance or whether they are only brave enough to go out on stage.  To be only two and standing on stage in front of hundreds of people is quite an accomplishment! Way to go girls!!)
With the princesses before the recital.




No comments:

Post a Comment